7. What advice would you give companies to increase their knowledge of adhesive bonding?
Let's go back to the welders. They have a cross-hierarchical, product-neutral personnel qualification system for their technology, which has been internationally recognised for over 50 years. From welder to welding specialist to welding engineer. A welder knows what he's doing. There's been a similar system for adhesive bonding for 25 years: cross-hierarchical levels from executive level to supervisory / managerial level up to the technical decision-making level, internationally recognised degrees according to ISO 17024, sector and product-neutral, etc. Underlying Europe-wide harmonised guidelines: European Adhesive Bonder - EAB, European Adhesive Specialist - EAS, European Adhesive Engineer - EAE (www.kleben-in-bremen.de / www.bremen-bonding.com). These guidelines set out the admission requirements, the duration of training and the scope of examinations. No official examination, no final document.
8. In your opinion, how does DIN 2304 impact the commercial vehicle industry?
Good question! I'll mention four points:
1. DIN 2304 helps in legal disputes in the event of damage. As I said at the beginning, DIN 2304 describes the "state of the art" for the professional organisation of adhesive bonding processes. That is, it concretises the existing quality management system, for example that according to ISO 9001. European product safety law is legally binding. It requires products to be made according to the "state of the art". If it concerns a technical adhesive bonding case which must be clarified in court, the first question is: "Did the user company work according to the state of the art?" The second question is then: "Where is the state of the art for adhesive bonding documented? "And believe me, the step to DIN 2304 is extremely short. For user companies which then have to admit that they did not manufacture according to DIN 2304, the air gets thin. Very thin even! So I believe that a change in consciousness is occurring in the commercial vehicle industry. In future, adhesive bonding technology will be viewed with completely different eyes. Namely as a high performance technology. And that's how the technology is approached. And with qualified staff, who know what they are doing.
2. DIN 2304 reduces costs. Experience has shown that consistent use of the standard reduces the number of adhesive bonding errors. That reduces costs.
3. The quality is increased by implementing DIN 2304. DIN 2304 can therefore be used very well as a marketing tool.
4. With the implementation of DIN 2304, companies gain trust from clients and authorities. A company that is certified according to DIN 2304 shows that it takes adhesive technology seriously and has the appropriate competencies.